Wednesday, April 27, 2016

The Streaking Writer

Last week, I worked on my novel seven straight days. This may not seem overly impressive — especially considering I wrote a blog post every day in January — but believe me, it is.

The reason is quite simple: I'd never done it before.

Yep, even when I first started writing it years ago during NaNoWriMo,1 and worked on it almost every day for that first month, I never managed seven straight.

Four days? Sure. Five? Piece of cake.2 But the full week has always eluded me.

One factor has been my refusal to begin writing if I have less than an hour to spare. I used to think I couldn't get into a real rhythm otherwise, so anything less would be a waste.

Then last week happened. I only did a full hour two of the days, and on two others I barely wrote for fifteen minutes. Yet each day I made progress in the story, and that sense of accomplishment kept me feeling great throughout the week.

I admit I didn't make much progress, however. Those seven days netted me a scant half a chapter. Then again, it is the final chapter, so perhaps I can cut myself some slack. It takes time to figure out how to tie everything up and complete all the character arcs without it feeling forced.

Besides, you know what they say about slow and steady.3

So I'll keep plugging away. I don't know if I'll go another seven straight anytime soon, but since I'm no longer waiting for that hour-long block of time, I will be writing more often.

And from that, only good things can happen.4


1 If I told you exactly how long ago I started the novel, with you knowing it's not yet finished, you'd be embarrassed for me. And I don't want that. See, I'm doing this for you.
2 That's right, my reward for writing five straight days is a slice of cake. A huge slice of cake. The ensuing sugar hangover renders me pretty much useless on day six.
3 You get last picked at dodge ball.
4 Unless you're one of my characters. Mwahahahaha!

7 comments:

  1. If I told you how long it took me to finish my first novel, you would be embarrassed for me.

    When I'm editing/revising, I can easily do seven days in a row, but I honestly don't know if I've ever done that during a writing phase. Maybe during NaNoWriMo, though.

    What's your reward for seven straight days?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I wouldn't be embarrassed for you. I'd probably just gloat when I learned mine has taken longer. Not that it's a competition. (I'm winning!)

      And my reward for seven days? Apparently, it's five days of not writing, followed by a blog post about my "success."

      Delete
  2. Awesome!
    Good thing you just want to finish the story rather than get picked for dodge ball.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, you misunderstand. I want to finish the story and get picked for dodge ball. I'll have you know that in my heyday (i.e. that one day I said "hey" a lot), I was an artful dodger. I may have not been stellar at knocking others out, but I was elusive enough I often found myself as the last kid standing on the losing side.

      Delete
  3. Being picked AT ALL for dodge ball is my idea of a little slice of hell. In fact, given the choice between a little slice of hell and a huge slice of cake, I'll choose the cake every time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great. Just great. Now that you've chosen the cake, the only thing left for me to pick from is the little slice of hell. Oh well, guess I'll have to go with--it burns!! Why does it have to burn?!

      Delete
    2. Because you forgot to wear your fork mitts, your oven mitts, and your tongue mitts.

      Delete