Today I'm participating in the Early Bird Thanksgiving Blogfest (hosted by Jeffrey Beesler over at World of the Scribe), which I'd hoped would allow me to celebrate Thanksgiving a day early, since it is my favorite holiday. Alas, no. All it means is I'll be gushing on about the things I'm most grateful for. Not that I gush; it's not really my style.So, behold! Me not gushing:
- I have a fantastic group of friends (and internet friends) who find me more entertaining than annoying. For this I am grateful.
- As movies and television increasingly shy away from anything original and untested, books remain an outlet for creativity. For this I am grateful.
- It's been almost two days since my cat last used the tub as her litter box. For this I am grateful.
- I could have been raised by racists or bigots. Yet, thanks in part to a family with both straight white Republican Jews and gay black Christian Democrats in it (not to mention atheists and agnostics, capitalists and communists, lawyers and librarians, vegetarians and veal-lovers), I have no prejudice except against the Yankees. For this I am grateful.
- On September 5, 2010, I was not killed by ninjas. For this I am grateful.
- Last summer I fell 30 feet to my death but didn't die. For this I am grateful. (So so so very grateful.)
- I have over a dozen ideas for novels and short stories, and not one of them involves a vampyre, færie, or wêrewölff. For this I am eternally grateful.
- And lastly, Denise could have laughed or told me to piss off. Instead, she said yes. For this I am more grateful than I can put into words.1
There's so much to be grateful for, so be grateful. And have a wonderful holiday!
1 Yet, by saying I couldn't put my sentiment into words, I put it into words. Sometimes my talent amazes even me.
2 Especially if you're a Yankees fan. Of course, your turkey was cooked back in mid-October.