Friday, February 14, 2014

Raptor vs. Turtle


Raptors vs. The World #5
vs. Elephant | vs. Sheep | vs. Pig | vs. Tiger | vs. Turtle


Murray ambled along, taking in the scenery. Out of nowhere, some young buck shot past him, nearly trampling him in the process. He shook his head and kept walking. He'd never understand the need to rush everywhere. What was so bad about enjoying the here and now? Even in his youth, Murray had extolled the virtues of patience and persistence, but then as now, few listened.

And as if on cue, here was someone else quickly approaching from behind. Well, he'd be damned if he was going to step aside. No, sir. Like his grandpa always said, slow and steady wins the—


~~~~~

Now try this: Read the story again, but this time ignore the photo. That is, think of the characters as people, not animals. (It's interesting how much a single image can change your perception of a story, isn't it?)

7 comments:

  1. The picture didn't pull up, so all I could imagine were people!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Run, Murray, run!

    And yes, it is very interesting how an image can alter perception.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Murray's escape plan is less about running and more about misdirection. ("What in the world could that be?" "What? I don't see any-- Hey! Where did you go? Oh, there you are, just two feet more to your left." "Damn it, you were supposed to be distracted for longer.")

      Delete
  3. It is so true. How much an image can change your perception of a story. And it works the other way around too (for me) I enhance what I have to say with pictures. That is the reason why I don't read blogs that have no pictures :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alas, I guess that means you won't stick around here too long. I tend to use photos only when I want to show off my photography, my Photoshop skills, or my son (or some combination of the three). Lately I've used photos for all my posts, but it's only out of laziness. I used to have more to say (or at least, more laughs to induce). And thus, much of this blog -- and certainly most of my best posts -- have no pictures.

      Don't worry, I'm still fully embracing my laziness, so you can come back for my next few posts without any fear of finding a block of text. But once the pictures cease you'll know my humor (and creativity) have returned, and you'll want to keep your distance.

      Delete
  4. rry, I'm still fully embracing my laziness, so you can come back for my next few posts without any fear of finding a block of text. But once the pictures ceasLadder Stand for Bowhunting

    ReplyDelete