Friday, September 5, 2014

One Ring to Bind Them


Four years ago today, Denise slipped this ring on my finger, and I haven't taken it off since.

Well, except a few nights early on, when it was irritating my skin. And those occasions when I set it aside in the bathroom and only remembered hours later. And whenever I've done gardening or masonry or some other activity that could sully it. Oh, and of course that time I jammed my finger playing football and couldn't get the ring over my knuckle for twelve months.1

It's okay, though, because Denise knows that even if I don't wear it all the time, my feelings for her are constant. She is my everything.

Or rather, she was. Until our son was born. Now she's half my everything. Or if you go by weight, 80% of my everything. Though really it's more like 78 or 79%. And that number's dropping.

I guess what I'm trying to say is this: Math is hard.

I mean, I even screwed up the title to this post. It didn't take one ring to bind us; it took two. Which proves I'm nothing like Gollum. I'll have to tell this to my preeeecious. She'll be so relieved.

(Happy anniversary, Denise!)


1 I also may have removed it once to take a photo of it. Maybe.

10 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary!!! Your ring looks happily worn in, :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Though, the "worn in" look is merely a product of the lighting (and perhaps its brushed nickel look). I'd only been married for 16 months when I took this shot, and had only worn the ring 3-4 months of that span.

      Worn in? No. Happily worn? Yes.

      Delete
  2. My wife gave me two rings, so even if I take one off, I'm still bound to the darkness. Luckily, I like the darkness. She bakes fabulous cookies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the beginning, there was only darkness. And He said, "Let there be cookies." And there were cookies. And He tasted the cookies, and saw that they were good.

      (I'm not sure whether the He in the above is you or Cookie Monster, but either way the results are delicious. Enjoy the darkness.)

      Delete
  3. My ring is in a box. In a drawer. But I do believe my other half knows that even though I don't wear my ring, it doesn't mean I don't love. Or him.

    Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aye, that does have a ring of truth to it. (You are the owner of the Ring of Truth, yes? Then you certainly want to keep it safe at all times, hidden away in a box.)

      Delete
  4. Haha :) Awww. I just got a ring from Disneyland that's my new lucky charm. Symbols!!!

    Sarah Allen
    (From Sarah, With Joy)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never really had a lucky charm myself, though I suppose my son would qualify as one now. Especially since he's about the size of a leprechaun.

      Enjoy your new ring!

      Delete