Sunday, September 19, 2010

Give me an Arrrrr

Yo ho, me hearties! 'Tis a wondrous day! Yet, I am overcome with sadness.

On the one hand, it is International Talk Like a Pirate Day, which is always a blast. But on the other hook, a year ago it coincided with Rosh Hashanah, which meant I got to explain how to talk like a Jewish pirate. In comparison, today kind of feels like a letdown.

It doesn't have to be, though. We can liven things up a bit by adding some variety to the proceedings. After all, there are many types of pirates out there.

Let me show you what I mean:

Type of Pirate Quote
Traditional: "Avast, ye scurvy dogs! Shape up, or I'll cast ye into the briny depths!"
Music: "If you don't burn me a copy of the new Skurvy Doggs album, I'll shove you back in Davy Jones' locker!"
Pittsburgh: "You dogs stunk it up out there tonight! Hit the showers, get outta my sight!"
Software: "Jeez, the quality's so bad you can barely tell the dog has scurvy! The picture's so washed out!"
Somali (translated): "Quit trying to kill us like dogs! Either pay the ransom, or we'll send more hostages to a watery grave!"
Radio: "This'll stop those scurvy dogs in their tracks! More music the establishment doesn't want you to hear. First up: Under the Sea."
Of the Caribbean: "That scurvy dog's in no shape to sail. I 'spect he's drownin' his sorrows in a bottle o' rum."
Of Penzance: "So what if you're the model of a modern Major-General?
Stop singing or I'll throw you from this very boat quite literal.
We'll tie you to an anchor and then boot you off the plank, we will.
And to the ocean floor you'll sink, where you'll be food for mackerel."

That's but a few examples, but I think you've got the idea. Just because everyone will be talking like a pirate today, it doesn't mean you all have to talk like the same one.

So, go. Set a course for awesomeness. And let's break away from the stereotype.

Although, feel free to imagine everyone with an eye patch, and a parrot on their shoulder.

8 comments:

  1. LOL, thanks for the reminder! I can't believe I forgot. I know it's because it's a Sunday. Had to remind the hubs, too. He's usually the first one on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's in Vancouver, WA, and I'm in San Diego, so we're texting in pirate right now ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, long distance piracy. Nice. Glad I could help!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! Don't forget the Ghetto Pirate: Yo, dog! Don't make me pop a cannonball in yo ass! Now get to steppin! :D Hey, thanks for visiting my blog and following n' stuff. I'm following yours!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey there, Nate! Just popped over here again to tell you I've got an award for you right here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. An excellent addition, Zoe! And far better than I could have pulled off.

    And thanks, Angela! A blogger award of my very own! You're too kind.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Blackbeard: Edward Teach aka Robert Newton: "Gilly. Gilly. Give him just a tickle with the point of your blade at about his liver. Arrrgh!"

    The thunder of their plunder shook the earth, the seas, the skys!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Even if it ain't talk like a pirate day, shouldn't all these blasted comments be piratized!

    ReplyDelete