Monday, February 14, 2011

A Mini-Splintered Thing

Since we still have a little time left in this Hallmark Holiday, let's talk about love. It's often misinterpreted. Love is not about flowers and greeting cards and chocolate, not at its core. It's about feelings, and devotion.1

The philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche, if you believe Matt Groening,2 said this about love:
"Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come."
If nothing else, this proves that love means something different to everyone. Whereas some believe love makes the world go round,3 others are quick to ask: What's love but a second Han demotion?4

Love is precious, love is kind. Love stinks. Love is a battlefield. Love is blind.

There are those who believe love means absolutely nothing,5 and some for whom it is everything. Others use love to their advantage, getting the smitten to act as a kind of indentured servant, to do their cooking and cleaning and sewing.6

But most people get it just about right. Love is many things, but mostly it's about caring for someone so deeply you would do almost anything for them.7

Remember: If you love someone, set them free. If they come back to you, you were probably in love with a boomerang.


1 And chocolate.
2 I wouldn't.
3 These people clearly aren't physicists.
4 What, you thought he'd keep his rank as Captain? He shot first.
5 Tennis players.
6 You! Come pleat me!
7 Even floss.

15 comments:

  1. Like the Han dynasty? Priceless.

    Also this post was great, but the footnotes made it an instant classic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tennis players.

    AH HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA! I think I just peed a little.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahahaha thanks for that. I really enjoyed reading about an emotion that is both over- and underrated.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tricia, what do you mean 'sometimes'? (Yeah, I suppose I do have a bit of a footnote fetish.)

    Jeffrey, that's just what happens when you're headed down the Atlanta highway in a car as big as a whale...

    Matthew, thanks! "Instant classic: Just add footnotes."

    Joseph, thank you so much for that visual. (Still, I'm kinda flattered. Thanks.)

    Misha, you're right: They really should set up some sort of regulation committee to rate love more effectively. But I'm glad I could amuse.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love is also insane. Or maybe that's me?

    http://ficklecattle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Mr. Cattle,
    I've only just met you, so I can't speak to your own sanity, but you're right that Love -- specifically, Courtney Love -- is insane. Dude Love, on the other hand, was just a crazy character.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, love has many faces, but it's bad when one of them is false. Love accepts change, adapts to change, and changes when change is needed.

    Lee
    Tossing It Out and the Blogging From A to Z April Challenge 2011

    ReplyDelete
  8. Arlee, I never thought this post would garner a serious comment, but you came through and proved me wrong. I love that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay, Nate since you're so good at the explaining love thing, I just tagged you, and now you get to answer #6 along with the other 18 questions!

    ReplyDelete
  10. JB, after my comment I had a feeling you might go and tag me. If this were baseball, I'd now get to sit and relax on the bench for a while, but alas, it looks like I've got some work to do...

    ReplyDelete
  11. And sometimes love is exactly how I feel about this EPIC blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, Melissa! Whenever I can get anyone to call something I've done "EPIC" without the word "FAILURE" immediately after it, it's a good day.

    ReplyDelete