Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Hey Hey Hey! Fat Tuesday!

Today is Mardi Gras. Throughout the world, people are stuffing their faces tonight, in preparation for the fasting they'll be doing during the period of Lent, which starts tomorrow.

As usual, our society has corrupted the day's original traditions.

Instead of gorging yourself on fatty foods, you should be watching a movie marathon of Hong Kong action films starring this guy. That's the proper way to observe Fat Tuesday.1

So, please, if you're going to feast on something today, at least let it be hard boiled.


(You'll also want to observe Ash Wednesday the correct way tomorrow. Here's how.)


1 And I'm not just saying this because us Jews typically celebrate Christian holidays by watching movies. This is how the day has always been celebrated, all the way back to Jesus.

10 comments:

  1. Whoa! Your 2010 post had a link to your 2011 post. That's some serious planning ahead!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Admit it, Joe: I just BLEW YOUR MIND. (Okay, probably not. But I did elicit a few extra exclamation points, so my work here is done.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. things i pretty much forget about every year:
    Mardi Gras
    Lent
    St Patrick's Day

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are just jealous because you were not invited to my way fun Mardi Gras party. If it helps any, I have no intention of fasting, except from sleep since Miriam is giving it up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Falen, I try to remember Mardi Gras just so I'm mentally ready for Ash Wednesday the next day, and don't end up asking everyone if Dick Van Dyke popped out of their chimney that morning and kissed their foreheads. Whereas I always give up Lent for Lent, and drink so much alcohol I forget St. Patty's Day exists.

    Sara, just because your daughter is giving up sleep for Lent doesn't mean you should, too. Instead, you should give up not lacing her drinks with NyQuil.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not sure that's in my Bible's translation, but I'll take any excuse to watch movies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I pretty much commemorate every holiday with movies. Christmas time equals LOTR and HP marathon. Valentine's Day equals zombie movie marathon.

    Also being half Irish, St. Patty's is the day I'm bitter about all the other "Irish" people out geting plastered. We real Irish get plastered all year round. Pussies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alex, Amen to that.

    Hannah, I would also like to go on record and call all the sober Irish folk pussies. (That should make me quite popular when I next visit the Irish half of my wife's family.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Of course I scare you. It's my job. That and having befouled breath. By the way, can I borrow a dollar? Seeing as you just leave them unattended for rowdy hordes of thumb tacks to jostle past :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. O' Befouled, of course you can have a dollar. Just make your way past my rowdy horde of guard tacks and pick it up.

    ReplyDelete